Last updated on January 27th, 2020 at 05:44 pm

2020 free days national parks The best deal outdoors: 2020 free days in national parks

Budget-minded travelers would be wise to take advantage of free days in national park, especially Everglades National Park, whose entrance fee is $35 per vehicle for seven days in 2020. (The individual entrance fee is $20.)

Everglades National Park entrance is also free if you use the free trolley from Homestead on winter weekends and between Christmas and New Years. 

 2020 free days in national parks, including Everglades National Park

DateEventAgency Participating
Jan. 20, 2020Martin Luther King Jr. DayNational Park Service
Fish & Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
U.S, Forest Service
April 18, 2020First day of National Park WeekNational Park Service
Aug. 25, 2020National Park Service anniversaryNational Park Service
Sept. 26, 2020National Public Lands DayNational Park Service
Fish & Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
US Forest Service
Nov. 11, 2020Veterans DayNational Park Service
Fish & Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation
US Forest Service
Florida State Parks

Free days in national parks also are offered here:

Free days in Florida state parks:

Sept. 8 – International Literacy Day – Admission is waived for anyone who has a library card, a book checked out from the library or donates a new or gently used, family-friendly book at any state park.

Nov. 11 – Veteran’s Day

The fee waiver does not cover expanded amenity or user fees for things such as camping, boat launches, transportation, or special tours.

Where does national park entrance fee money go?

Free or discounted passes to national parks are available for senior citizens, current members of the U.S. military, families of fourth grade students, and disabled citizens. Additionally, the annual America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass allows unlimited entrance to more than 2,000 federal recreation areas, including all national parks. Here’s more information.

About 80 percent of collected fees at a national park stay in that park, while the other 20 percent support National Park Service units that do not charge fees, such as Biscayne National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve. Of that 80 percent, at least 55 percent of the fees must be used to fund deferred maintenance projects in the park. Everglades National Park has plans over the next few years to improve visitor facilities and services, according to Everglades National Park Superintendent Pedro Ramos.

Some of the fee-funded projects at Everglades National Park include replacing channel markers and improving channel corridors in Florida Bay and the backcountry, bringing back accommodations and a restaurant in Flamingo  and reconstructing the Flamingo Visitor Center. Here’s more about visiting Flamingo.

Wildlife refuges where fees are waived on some free days:

There are never any entrance fees to these parks:

Related articles on Florida Rambler:

One Comment

  1. Thank you so much for this information!!! I really enjoy learning about Florida through your emails

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.